Tuesday, May 17, 2011

One awesome date - modern man take notes

I am absolutely, without question, frustrated with my experience with today's modern man and his ability to date. Allow me to vent...because I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer...
Is dating unheard of these days?! Whatever happened to someone calling you up and actually uttering the following phrase: "I was wondering if you'd like to go out this weekend?" Instead, I get a random text message asking if I wanna "hang out" later (which is code for "let's watch tv".) Long gone are the days when a man actually asks you out, plans a date and picks you up. That has happened once in my adult life. Once. And while that date did not turn into a relationship, I still, to this day, rate that as the best date I have ever been on. You know why? Because the guy called me up (a week in advance! I know right? I can still hardly believe it myself) and actually asked me out (which I realize is a big deal because a guy can always run the risk of being rejected) and planned the date himself. He knocked on my front door, brought me a nice flower, opened the car door for me and whisked me away and treated me like I was some kind of royalty. Let's skip to dinner...he took me to a nice restaurant and actually suggested something on the menu. Not in a bossy way, but in a super-hot take-charge manly kind of way. (SO tired of hearing the boring response of "Whatever you want to do" to my question of "What do you have planned?" UHH!) So...back to the awesome one date I had like 8 years ago...I may not have ended up in a relationship with this guy, but the point is this: this guy knew how to date. Perhaps he should teach a course to today's modern man who thinks a date is "hanging out". Um...hello...it's not! I'm not at all opposed to hanging out with you...but if that's it...it isn't a good sign.
I don't require fancy restaurants. Nor do I require any amount of sufficient funds. I don't require fancy places or clothing. But I do require effort. I require you, modern man, to get up off your ass, make a plan, and ask me out for heaven's sake! I'm not even asking you to be creative...just ask...preferably at least three days in advance. Do you not know how hot that is? How manly that makes you? I just refuse to believe that I am supposed to settle for "hanging out" every blue moon. I mean, it isn't that old fashioned is it? I'm not asking for a horse drawn carriage and to be courted. I just want a freaking date!

1 comment:

  1. Tell it like it is girlfriend! I need to have my husband read this...cause it goes for husbands, too! Yes, they can ask you out for a date and plan it all! You should have your own talk show! Jamie

    ReplyDelete