Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Me? Pretty? Why, thank you sir."

Every person (especially girl), whether they are single or married - loves to hear a sincere compliment. We can't always toot our own horn, so it feels good when someone else toots it for us. (Wow...that sounded dirty, but was so not intended to be. And now it's quite possible that your mind didn't go to the place mine went and now I have forced it to...so...um...sorry about that.) What can I say? I'm the girl that can probably find about 100 ways in a day to a comment with "that's what she said". It isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it leaves me snickering in a corner by myself with people asking "what's so funny?" Me. And apparently my dirty mind.
Anyways...got a little off topic there. Back to the point: everyone loves being complimented. Especially me. And when you are 31 and never been married, those compliments from males tend to be of a rare and special kind. Because let's face it - I'm 31 and never been married, so of course the following thoughts cross my mind: "Do I repulse the opposite sex?" "Is there some sort of hairy mole growing out of the side of my face no one is telling me about?" and the thought I most frequent: "What the hell is wrong with me?" And all my friends and family say, "Oh, he's out there. God has that special one for you." And my response to that would be, "Yeah. Blah. Blah. Blah. You still get to go home to your husband (and kids - and dog - geez...you have it all!) and have all the sex you want without being considered promiscuous, slutty or sinful. And more importantly, when you don't feel like cutting the light off - there is someone there to do it for you."
Bitter? Party of one? Yes, that's me. And dang...I keep getting off topic (but who doesn't like the scenic route to the point?)
So - when I get a compliment from the opposite sex - it matters.
And I got one at work tonight. Most of the male compliments I receive are usually somewhat of a vulgar nature. (Don't worry, I won't share...but you are secretly wishing I would right? I thought so. Shame on you. Lol.) Well, out of nowhere this guy says to another guy standing close by - "I think she is really pretty." (and points to me) How precious is THAT I ask you? He used the word pretty. Not hot (though fully acceptable) and not anything that registers above a 5 on what I call the perv-o-meter. (Which, in case you are wondering, would include phrases that include, but are not limited to the following words: panties and any word which refers to my lady parts.)
Back to pretty. What a nice compliment! And I turned to him and said, "Thank you for saying that. That was such a sweet thing to say." And that was the end. There was no gross comment which followed. Just a nice, sincere compliment from a nice, sincere man. And it was...well...nice. So, thank you nice man.
And here's hoping that you receive the compliment you deserve today.
 

1 comment:

  1. And he didn't even say "She has such a pretty face..." which is really NOT a compliment, and I should know, because i've heard it a LOT. If he knew you, he would say you're pretty and funny, which are both true! And even better!

    ReplyDelete