Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why tattoo placement is crucial for chubby girls (or guys)

I never really thought of myself as "cool enough" to get a tattoo. I secretly wanted to get one but always lacked the right amount of gusto to get it done. Not to mention pain. I'm not a real big fan of self-inflicted pain (unless it's the emotional kind...I'm good at that). I never really understood why people would pierce certain body parts...not because I thought it was gross, but because I just couldn't understand why they'd want to go through all that pain. So, I didn't feel cool enough (weren't people with tattoos supposed to drive Harley Davidsons or something? Or at least have that "bad ass" vibe? Because I so am not bad ass. Though I'd like to be for at least a day. And the closest I come to feeling that way is when I wear cowgirl boots.) And then there was the whole choosing a tattoo I'd want to have on my body for forever. I made a list of what I didn't want (should I ever get the guts to actually get a tattoo:
1. Any kind of character (think Disney). Character images for adults belong on horribly tacky night shirts that are only sold at Wal-Mart...and grandma sweatshirts. Not a hip tattoo.
2. Anything that could possibly stretch on any part of my body and become something it wasn't originally intended to be. And considering my struggle with weight, this was of major importance. In other words, I didn't want a rose to turn into a long-stemmed one thanks to a 40 pound weight gain or pregnancy.
3. Anything lower-back. I know, like 90% of girls east of the Mississippi have the tramp stamp. It just wasn't for me. And it would hurt.
4. Anything on my foot. Too painful.
5. I didn't want a colored tattoo...I think they are kinda tacky. (Unless you are going for the whole body tattoo thing...in which case it should be colored because your body is like a walking piece of artwork.)
6. No butterflies - too girly cliche.
7. Something that sorta meant something to me. (How could I ever explain why I got Winne the Pooh on my ankle?)
8. Something that wouldn't be that clearly visible with the proper amount of clothing on.

Well, guess what? I got the gusto. Finally got a tattoo. (Still not badass.) I chose to get the following tattooed on my back (not lower back...more like my left shoulder blade):

Hope...

That's right, hope... The reason I got the dots after the word was to signify that hope is to come and hope is to be expected. (pretty cool if I say so myself). And it's in a pretty font. (Definitely not badass.) Oh well. I'm girly. That's just me.

But something never really occurred to me. What if I loose weight? I have fat on/in/around my back (so gross). I was thinking last night, "What if my back gets skinnier?" And while this probably won't happen, I had a hilarious, somewhat scary thought. "If my tattoo shrinks...it will shrink into Hoe..." What would people think? Hoe...to be expected? Hoe...is coming for you?
I never thought there would be a downfall to loosing weight. Perhaps those with tattoos should rethink that.

1 comment:

  1. This seriously says everything I've been thinking about getting a tattoo... I have all of the same problems and j think when I am old enough and ready I want to get the leo constellation in the same placement, or maybe just some starry set, or a planet (pluto!) thanks for writing this awesome piece it helped me decide on placement for my weight and for all those other things j worry about... ��

    ReplyDelete