Thursday, March 31, 2011

A breakfast recipe so good you'll wanna slap ya mama...

I have to say...I've been quite the cook lately. Let me share with you what I thought was an absolutely fabulous breakfast recipe. Unfortunately I do not have a picture...I think you probably know why.

Here's the breakdown of frititta - which is basically a fancy word for an omelet you bake in the oven instead of cook on the stove-top.

1 individual size cup of egg beaters - They sell them at the store - they come in 3 per package.  (60 calories)
1/4 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese (60 calories)
chopped fresh mushrooms (0ish calories)
chopped fresh bell peppers (I used red and yellow) (0ish calories)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach (0ish calories)
chopped red onion (0ish calories)
(on most of the veggies, I eye-balled it - I used maybe a small handful)
3 slices chopped Canadian bacon (60 calories)
1 tablespoon olive oil (120 calories)
salt & pepper - to your liking
onion powder - just a sprinkle
Cavender's seasoning - just a sprinkle
garlic salt - just a sprinkle

That equals 300 calories plus a few additional ones for the veggies (but the calories are small - probably less than 30). Either way - that's a grand total of 350 calories for a super-good breakfast! If you wanted to cut out the olive oil and use a cooking spray, that would cut the calories by 120. But, "they" say you need healthy fats in your diet like olive oil, so I went for it.

Saute all the veggies and Canadian bacon in the olive oil. When the spinach has wilted and the veggies are tender, remove them from the heat. In a small, individual casserole dish (think small enough for one person), spray it with a little Pam cooking spray, add egg beaters and cheese. Then, place veggie/meat mixture on top. Cook at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until egg is firm all the way through.

Super-healthy. Let's compare it to what that little food pyramid says we need... Veggies? Yup. Healthy dairy? Yes! Protein? Lean. Healthy fat? Of course (olive oil). And I'm pretty sure I ate every color in the rainbow (which they say is good for you). And it actually tasted good. Really. Maybe you don't like mushrooms or onions - well just take them out and replace them with some other veggie you may like such as broccoli. And ta-da! Healthy breakfast for one. I ate mine with some fruit to up the healthy factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment