Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Today's edition of "What's in my fridge"

So...one may wonder what lies in a chubby girl's (who secretly wants to be a "skinny biotch" as my best friend calls it) fridge...I'm here to let you in on the secret. The good & bad (in true chubby girl diary form).
 
Let's start at the top...
Ragu pizza sauce (so good for making my new little pizza creations)
Weight Watchers Key Lime Pie Yogurt (haven't tried it yet)
Atheno's Roasted Garlic Hummus - it's basically a better for you type of dip. It's made of olive oil (a good fat) and chickpeas. Good with veggies or crackers.
Tri-Color bell peppers (trying to get all the colors in my diet - though I have to admit - I can barely swallow the red ones - my taste buds don't agree). Yes, indeed, they do have different flavors.
Blue cheese crumbles - really good on a salad or on a pizza
Various fresh produce - strawberries, lettuce mix, spinach, celery, onions, asparagus, carrots, grapes, oranges and lemons. I'm a big advocate of fresh produce. It tastes better and it's better for you.
Pace Picante Sauce - I like to use it as salsa with chips
Fresh mushrooms - SO much better than canned. I use them in spaghetti or omelettes.
Neely's "Honey Kissed" BBQ Sauce - YUM!
Horizon Organic 2% Milk - It has a longer shelf life and I can't taste the difference. But my wallet sees a difference. It's a bit pricey, but as a single gal, I can never go through milk before it goes bad, so I figure I'm saving in the end by buying something that has a longer shelf life (and that's healthier).
Turkey Bacon - delish
Hot country sausage - this was a request from my dad - I try to stay away from it
Applewood smoked bacon - again, a request from my dad (although this is very tasty)
Roast Beef lunch meat - not too bad, though I usually opt for a lower sodium turkey
Canadian bacon - good for an omelette or pizza
2% cheddar cheese and 2% mozzarella cheese - I can't really taste a difference - other than it takes it longer to melt.
Havarti cheese slices - ok...well...this is a full-fat cheese. But if you tried it, you'd know that some things you just can't give up.
Assortment of mini-sized chocolates (and I do mean mini size, not fun-size) - in case of emergencies
Hellman's Mayonnaise - I just can't give up the real thing. Fat-free mayo sucks. I just try to eat less of the real stuff.
Dijon mustard - when I need to get my veggies in for the day - instead of dipping them in ranch dressing or sour cream, I opt for an almost calorie free dip. It's really good - and a good choice for a condiment on a sandwich instead of mayo. 
Ground turkey - good as a substitute for ground beef in almost anything. I get the leanest version possible. It costs more, but so does most healthier versions of food...unfortunately. (And America wonders why it's obese!)
Ribeye steaks - A serious comfort food I just won't give up. I try to eat it sparingly though. Like once or twice a month at the most.
Boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins - a good size for a meal

Sugar-free chocolate syrup - Sometimes I revert back to kindergarten and want chocolate milk.

Pineapple cups - when fresh pineapple isn't available.

Raspberry vinaigrette - I just wanted to try something new.

Kashi crackers - They don't taste like Ritz, but not too bad either.

Cheddar Broccoli soup mix - Not too healthy because it's cream-based, but good when you have a cold or feel sickly.

Water chestnuts - Good in a stir-fry (with pineapple and chicken)

Crystal Light - 5 calories = better for you than Coke.

Sweet and Sour sauce - I use it in my stir-fry. The lower sodium version is best.

Artichoke hearts - I use them in a salad or on a pizza.

Minute Ready to Serve Brown Rice Bowls - Perfect sized portions and microwaveable (I add some seasoned salt to mine - it can be a little bland without.)

Canned Tuna - A pantry staple

My advice: try something new. Broaden your horizons!

No comments:

Post a Comment