Sunday, March 20, 2011

I was defeated by casseroles

Sunday is my official weight in day. I'm not sure how you can hate an inanimate object...but I certainly can. Damn you scale. 

Last week I was pleased with a four pound loss. This week, I'm back up two pounds. Still an overall loss, but it still stinks. Officially 195. (Will I EVER get out of the 190's?) However, I did not expect to loose any weight this week. I have my excuses. And they are darn good ones if I do say so myself. I will share them with you:

1. I was sick. In today's cold-hearted world, that doesn't mean much. But, let me explain...I was sick. Bad. Think flu-like symptoms. It started with the worst sore throat of my life (and I do mean that) for about three days. I tried every home remedy known to man: honey and lemon tea, hot toddy (a lemon, honey, tea and whiskey mixture known to cure the common cold...no, it just makes you "feel" better) and other remedies. But nothing - and I do mean nothing - sufficed. UNTIL...Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey Ice Cream. You may think I'm saying that just because it tasted good. And it did. But it actually helped relieve some of the horrible pain of my sore throat. Then, the sickness turned into horrible throbbing head-ache pain due to hacking up a lung. (Yes I went to the doctor. Yes I got some medicine. Yes I feel better. But it took a good week). I couldn't even try to force a work-out. My days this week were spent sleeping - or attempting to, then dragging myself out of bed and going to work. At a restaurant. Eww. So, excuse number one. And should you get sick - I am telling you - Ben and Jerry's. That mess works!

2. I get off work around 11 p.m. or 12 a.m. each night from a restaurant. And I get SOOOO hungry. And while I've managed to make great progress in not choosing something from the McDonald's menu every night, I still eat late. And I know this can't be good. (And this week, that "something late" usually consisted of something quick at home: a cheesy hot dog, Cheetos, or Pizza Rolls.) Ah. I confess. 

3. A very devastating loss happened to a very dear friend of mine this week. The kind of loss that makes you question God's motives. I've never had someone so close to me be hurt in such a deep way. And I've never wanted to ease someone's pain more in my life. It was utterly catastrophic. And when things of this magnitude happen - well, to put it bluntly - I didn't give a crap about working out or eating right. I just wanted to be a comfort to my friend in any way possible.

4. I came face to face with my dieting enemy - home-made casseroles. I was shamefully defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment