Monday, March 14, 2011

To my big-breasted friends: I salute you.

The girls. The grand te-tons. Thelma and Louise. The Pointer Sisters. Boobies.

Call them what you will, but anyone with a cup size D or larger will tell you that it's hell to try and find a good sports bra. Heck, it's hell trying to find a good bra period. For one thing, why is it impossible for there to be cute, inexpensive bras out there for bigger gals? Why do we only get white, black and various versions of beige while the smaller girls get polka dots, lace, leopard print and every other color imaginable? And to find a good bra, like, the kind that will actually last a month or two, we have to spend upwards of around $25-50 for a good one. Forget the cute bra racks at inexpensive stores. For us, it's the bra section at Macy's or Dillard's. And that still doesn't ensure that the wire won't poke us or that other bra catastrophes won't occur. When you are...um..."blessed" as they say - the last thing you want is a padded bra. But then, you are taking a major risk should it rain or get cold. Being a big-breasted woman can really suck the fun right out of trying to be fashionable.
And then you have the horror of trying to find a sports bra to maintain the girls while you get your Zumba on. Let me say this - I have yet to find a good sports bra. Probably because I can't spend an arm and a leg (and a breast) on one. I have been wearing layers at the gym like I'm preparing for a frost. I wear my regular bra, an ineffective sports bra, the tightest tank top I own and then a t-shirt. That's four efforts to keep me supported without hurting myself. It's crazy.
So...just for fyi purposes, and to hopefully help you, here have been my recent attempts at locating a good sports bra:
This bra is a Danskin sports bra/tank. It has a sports bra liner-type thing inside. (The lining in mine ripped). However, there is one thing I like about this: It has a small pocket on the upper right corner that can hold your MP3/I-pod if you don't have one of those handy arm cuffs (which I don't). So, I although the lining is ripped in mine, I have still kept it for it's good use of holding a MP3 player. I think this bra was about $17 or so. So a fortune was not lost.
These are also Danskin bras...which serve no purpose for bigger boob gals. These bras will laugh at you and say "Really, you want me to do what? You know I'm not made for that, right?" Don't question the bra. Just trust them. They are telling you the truth. I wear one over my regular bra...and I still have to wear a tight tank top. Now, I will say, in the bra's defense, I should have known better than to get a sports bra with no added support (under wire or molded cups). Silly me. I believe these set me back around $15 for a set of two.

Note to self: Save for a good quality sports bra. Think support with molded cups or under wire (which kinda defeats the purpose of a sports bra, but oh well).

P.S. If you have any advice on the topic, PLEASE offer your knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment