Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fat girls can run?! (and other forms of insanity)

Last season of the Biggest Loser, I was THAT girl. You know the one...the girl who eats a Snickers, sitting in front of the tv while cheering on the contestants of the Biggest Loser. Yeah, that was me.
I remember watching as the potential contestants ran a mile. I saw them sweating and one girl even passed out. I thought two things:
1. How hard could running a mile actually be?
2. I never wanted to find out.

Running was never, and I do mean never, in my personal vocabulary. I had close friends who would run and I would, on rare occasion, appease them by going for a light walk with them. And I considered that a major accomplishment. But, I always secretly wondered why they would want to torture themselves by running when walking was a perfectly acceptable form of ancient transportation. And to actually want to run in races...and marathons...oh no. I could rest assure that I would never be that girl. I always said "I'm more of an aerobics or dance video-type exerciser". Truth be told - I rarely did anything. There are the kind of people who attend church on holiday's - Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas, to call themselves "church-goers". Well....I was that kind of exerciser. A few times a year, and I thought that was plenty to be considered an "exerciser". Did I know that was insane? Of course. Was I still in denial? Maybe. I've heard that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. Wow. That has been my life quote for the past 7 years.

There are few things I think I am incapable of doing. I'm pretty positive. I'd like to think I can do anything if I set my mind to it. However, I have always thought "I could never run." And that was one thing I sincerely believed. I was from the school of thought that believes athletes are born, not made. Runners are born, not made. (Especially those who torture themselves by running...uh...miles.) And I was not born into this elite group of individuals.

I have always liked the ideas of setting goals. I am what you call a dreamer, not a doer. I love that I'm a dreamer, but hate that I usually lack the "git 'er done" aspect to attaining my dreams and goals. But this January, I set some specific goals. One of my goals was to run a 5K. (Why would I do this to myself? I still don't know.) So...long story short, me and my best friend decided we would embark on this journey together, even though we live two hours away from each other. We decided to use the Couch to 5K Training Plan (more on that later). During our first week, we were to run something like 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds for a combined total of 20ish minutes. I thought I would DIE. It was so evident to me at that point that I was seriously out of shape. I couldn't even run 60 seconds? How would I ever run a mile? Or the dreaded 5K (3.1 miles)? This was impossible. I already felt defeated and hadn't really even started.

But I pushed myself. I had never, up to this point, pushed myself before. Ever. If I felt the slightest bit of discomfort or pain, I'd just give up. I was a pro at giving up. But, I wasn't giving up anymore. The first week was awful due to shin splints and calf pain. I skipped a few workouts - I won't lie about that. There were two weeks I just didn't even do a single run. But I always picked it back up eventually. I may have veered off my path a few times, but I got back on. I did more than the required 20ish minutes. I do more like an hour each time. And I honestly got to that point where I enjoyed going to the gym (some days more than others). And (insert huge gasp here) actually enjoyed running (it's more like light jogging, but running sounds so much more hard-core - lol.) I do not worry about running fast. I am concerned with endurance. I am focused when I go to the gym. I know what I want to accomplish that day, and I usually tackle it and do it.

Today was a huge milestone for me. After not working out a single day last week (see previous blog post), I dreaded today. But, today - I RAN A WHOLE MILE WITHOUT STOPPING. I did it! Me - chubby girl. Me- girl who could barely run 60 seconds without fainting. This makes me want to shout to all the people who think they can't do it - YOU CAN! Because I was that girl. And I did it. And I will keep going.

Countdown to first 5K run: 37 Days

1 comment:

  1. I am that girl! I have said many times that running isn't for me and I dk why I would run when walking does me juuuust five. Your story is encouraging. I hope you make your goal! Not many people can say they have ran a marathon. I can say that I never have and am fairly sure I would literally die trying! Good luck with your training

    ReplyDelete