Tuesday, March 29, 2011

When life seems really tough, consider the possibility that you're just a big wuss.

It just so happens that my dad got me this hilarious Maxine comic book that has all these quotes in it. This was the first quote I flipped to...so appropriate for today.

Because today - I felt like a big wuss at the gym.

I've heard that when you workout, your body may decide, all of a sudden, to act like a lazy dog and roll over and look at you with eyes that say "We're doing what today? Nope...don't think so. I'm gonna lay right here." In other words - my body decided to turn on me. My head was saying "Let's do this!" My body was saying "Uh! Please, stop the madness!" For once, I'd like my head and my body to get the memo at the same time: I don't want to be fat anymore.

It seems like when I'm mentally motivated, like today, my body is in complete denial. Making it go to the gym is like trying to get a 3-year-old up from the floor who is throwing a temper tantrum. But guess what? I WENT ANYWAYS.

My goal was to complete 3 miles by alternating a run for .05 miles and then a walk of .05 miles. Um...I ran the first .05 mile and wondered why was it so hard today? And then I decided, to heck with this, I'm going to that Zumba class.

So, I got my Zumba on. It was the first time I actually went to a Zumba class - like, in front of people. Note: In front of strangers. Now, I'd like to pride myself on the fact that I do, in fact, for a white girl, have a significant amount of rhythm. I can bust a move. I won't deny that. But, darn those mirrors in the workout room! I caught a glimpse of myself - perhaps my dance moves are over-rated. Because - I was not feeling like a sexy dance goddess. I was feeling more like the white girl in the dance club everyone is secretly laughing at. But - I still did it. Bad moves and all. Calorie burn doesn't care whether or not you are MC Hammer on the dance floor.

However, I wish I could have mentally blocked out all of my "girl thoughts". You know the ones, don't you? The thoughts like the following:

"Wow. I wish I looked that good in spandex."
"How does she move her hips like that?" (Think Shakira-style hip moves)
"I wish I could do the booty pop."
"I wonder what she eats to stay that skinny? Probably lettuce and rice cakes."
"Does the leader think I can't keep up? I can so keep up." (Thinking this while currently not keeping up.)
"Is everyone sweating like me?..and is everyone sweating in the places I'm sweating?"
"Can't we turn the fans on in here?"

So, maybe I was a bit of a wuss today. But at least I did something. I used to do nothing. And the last time I checked, running a half of a mile and doing a 1-hour Zumba dance session definitely counts as something!

Lastly, a special note to the dance instructor: You totally missed a step in the electric slide - just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment